Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Welcoming Little Olivia! a little late I know...


Olivias Birth Story

                Olivias original due date was September 25, 2012. We decided to induce early for a few different reasons; Blake had a ton of tests the week she was due, my mom was coming in a day before her due date and leaving shortly after, and we wanted to make sure we had someone to take care of Harper. So I talked to the doctor and we decided Thursday, September 20th we would go in at 10:00 pm to get things started. My doctor, Dr. Young, told me the day before that we would have her by 5:00 am on Friday. Grandma was able to come in that day as well to help out. So we headed in!

 Thursday night was the night of the BYU vs. BSU game so of course Blake was watching that! I think he might have been more nervous about that! The doctor came in to break my water and he started watching the game with Blake HELLO, trying to have a kid here! He said hed be back at 5:00 am to deliver her, he seemed pretty sure of the timing!
When I came in I was at a 3 already. They started the drugs and the contractions started, they werent too bad at first, but got worse and worse and worse till I couldnt handle it any longer! At about 2:30 am I got the epidural and I was at a 7 at that point! Hooray!

The epidural took forever to place. She kept hitting all my nerves and my back kept freaking out! But once she finally placed it I felt much better! It seemed to take forever to take full effect though and I started to feel more and more pressure immediately after. I figured the epidural just wasnt working yet. But the pressure kept getting worse and I had to push! I told Blake and I dont think he took me seriously at first. I said a few minutes later that he better get the nurse because I REALLY needed to push! He called and we waited 20 minutes and no one showed up so Blake called again and was ready to go find the nurse. While all of this is going on I have my legs crossed and I am squeezing them together as tight as I can, like that would actually stop a baby! Around 4 she finally shows up and walks around and does a bunch of stuff then finally checks me and I was ready to go! Duh, I could have told her that! So she hustled off to call the doctor and get things ready.

After 30 minutes of pushing she was here! The doctor asked me if I wanted to "pull her out", I said No Way! But once she was coming he grabbed my hand and put in around her! So I pulled her out! It was really gross but kind of a cool thing. She was born at 5:01 am, exactly 1 minute after the doc said, pretty good guess! She was a pound smaller and 2 inches shorter than Harper and she seemed teeny tiny! I started puking very soon after she was born and that was a lot of fun too. 
Harper spent all this time that we were at the hospital with Grandma at home.  They came to visit the next day and Harper was excited to meet her new sister! She seemed to like her right off and was excited to kiss her and see her! Then she started pressing every button in the room and we decided it was time for her to go home. We stayed in the hospital one night and then decided it was time to go home too.
















She has been a good little baby from the beginning. We had a lot of issues with breastfeeding. Our attempts to fix this included specialists, tongue cutting, and a bit of crying by all! In the end she wouldn't do it and now enjoys some foul smelling soy formula! All in all it was a pretty good experience. So much better in every way than with Harper, I felt pretty good afterwards other than an intense amount of bleeding, probably the most blood I have EVER seen. We are happy to have her and her big sister Harper is so proud of her. 


2 comments:

  1. always love a good birth story! she's the cutest, congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my I didn't know you had to wait for so long to push! ha ha! I'm glad that you got the epidural in time! We're excited to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete