In an attempt to make our life a little more exciting I took Harper to a free movie at a local theater. Kung Fu Panda 2 was playing and I wasn't actually that excited about seeing it again but I figured it was something to do and Harper talks about going to the theater all the time. So we went and Harper only wanted to stay for 10 minutes!! Ridiculous. We walk to the car and drive off. I looked down at the steering wheel to turn up the music and BANG the tire blows! The road was turning slightly and the road was narrow but I really didn't think I hit the curb! I did find a suspicious looking sharp rock sitting by the curb though.....
So anyway I pull into a turnout and don't want to be a poor weak female and decide I'm going to fix it, I've only been showed how to do it like 10 times! Of course I have never done it on my own, in 95 degree weather, 7 months pregnant, and with a 2 year old... So I get all the stuff out of the trunk and give Harper some emergency jelly beans so she doesn't run into the street or pick up one of the beer bottles or cigarette butts laying there and put the jack under the car like the picture showed. I made sure the brake was on and started to jack up the car and thought twice about it.... So I called my dad! Up to this point I had felt pretty good about the whole thing but as I was talking to him I broke down and started crying, a bit pathetic I know. But in my defense I have never had it happen before, we are saving for a little road trip next month with some friends and really can't afford this right now, I only sorta knew what I was doing, and Harper was crying and attempting to run into the street!!
So my knowledgeable father, who is has always been the first person I call when there is any sort of automotive issue, told me to just call someone to fix it. Brilliant!! He told me to test whether I could even loosen a lug nut, I stomped pushed and strained and they didn't budge. So all my effort would have been pointless anyway! So I called a couple places and finally my insurance company called someone to come fix it. Harper and I headed back to the theater where we got a drink and some popcorn. Harper was pretty happy to get a drink and played with the arcade games for 50 minutes. The man came and it took him 5 minutes to change it and we were on our way!
So anyway, a short free trip to the theater ended up being a costly, hot trip to the theater. O well, that's life I guess! Just thankful we weren't on the interstate!






I have had so many days like that one when my kids were little! Glad your dad gave you good advice!
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you are both safe and sound! That's good that Dad was available to give you some good advice, whenever I have a car "incident" I always think, "what would Mitch do". I am glad that you didn't have to change the tire yourself and that Harper was able to enjoy a treat at the theater, which is probably all she wanted in the first place - who cares about the dumb movie!
ReplyDeletethat same thing happened to me on a freezing dark freeway between provo and slc. i called my dad too!
ReplyDeleteYea I remember you telling me when that happened! Didn't some guy stop to help you? I miss living somewhere where someone will actually stop and help a sister!! :-)
ReplyDelete