Friday, September 23, 2011

The Monster in the Cupboard Undergoes a Procedure

Harper went into the hospital Thursday for an upper GI scope. 
It was a nerve-racking, tearful, and long day. We went in in the early morning and she wasn't able to eat anything after 3:00 am. I was a little nervous about the food but she didn't seem to care about it! 
She enjoyed running around the hospital and chatting with all the people there while we were waiting. 
She was also allowed to hold the IPOD, which is a dream come true for her! 
As we wheeled her down the hallway for her surgery she was crying and upset, then I took the IPOD away and it was the worst thing I could have done! She went ballistic! So it was pretty hard to send her off screaming and crying and holding her arms out for me, but I just turned around and headed in the waiting room so I wouldn't hear it, and shed a few tears. 
  
The doctor came out 30 minutes later and told us that the scope was done and that she was doing great. I went back to sit with her and she was screaming and crying and very mad at everyone in sight. I felt so bad for her! She kept falling asleep and waking up to see a random nurse and freaking out! I gave her the IPOD back and sat with her and she eventually calmed down but she was so mad about the IV in her arm because she couldn't hold the IPOD correctly! I felt so bad for her as she was crying and sobbing! It would be terrible to just wake up in a random place with such random people everywhere feeling completely drugged and out of it! 

Right before we left she was getting so upset because she was still attached to the IV and couldn't go in the hallway and talk to people! She is such a goof! I guess she thought she was supposed to be manning the information desk on the floor! We got out of there though and got some french fries and she was as happy as can be! And slept for about 3 hours but she is back to normal now! 
The doctor did find some white patches in her throat. Which means that she has some accumulations of white blood cells called Eosiniphils. This is not normal and kind of a bad thing. What it basically does is cause her to throw up her food and cough and gag because her throat is so swollen that the food cannot move down and stay down properly. Which is scary, frustrating and kinda a mess! It is a disease caused Eosiniphilic Esophagitis. It is benign and usually clears up on its own after early childhood. We are still waiting on the biopsies to know about the diagnosis for sure but he is pretty certain that is what it is. So we will wait to find out for sure and then go from there with it! 

All and all not a bad day and I am so glad it wasn't a really serious problem. I hope not to do this again anytime soon! 

2 comments:

  1. Those pictures are cute of her in her hospital gown. I see little kids like that all the time in the OR and forget about the families waiting in the wings for them! Let us know what the "bibopsy" shows - but I bet that she does have EE. I wonder if you find out what she might be allergic to, if you could just avoid those foods and not have to mess with giving her steroids?? Time (and the doctor) will tell I guess. I am glad that you guys are in an area that has so many medical institutions and providers - even a specialist on EE! That is a blessing to be grateful for. We are excited to see you guys in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Aldar. I would have definitely been tear too! And the little hospital socks are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete