
Blake talks about these dreams he has where his teeth start falling out of his head. They mortify him and thankfully they are only dreams. Sadly for me it is a reality. I remember when I was about 8 I was eating a candy and the entire top of my molar came off, another time I was flossing and half my tooth just popped out, another time half my tooth broke off, and who can forget the time I was eating something and my crown crumbled in my mouth. Many fillings and 2 1/2 crowns later I was whole again.
I now have one more story to add to the list. My crown started feeling a bit weird and wiggling when I brushed, hoping to put off the inevitable, I didn't call the dentist. Then I popped a fruit snack in my mouth and out popped my crown! And not just my crown but also the blackened, necrotic stub of my former tooth! "Oh great", I thought, another 1000 we have to spend on my mouth. So I go to the dentist and he informs me that it will be 5000 dollars for an implant, so instead of another 1000 in my mouth try another 5000! And irony of ironies it could be free in 3 years!
So I figure we can do some kind of temporary fix till Blake can fix it. Well I am informed by the dentist that three years is pushing it to not have an implant due to the fact that my bone could possibly recede, however it is also likely that it will be just fine. So after sitting in the dentist office for like an hour just thinking about it and basically getting kicked out I decided to take it as far as the partial denture, yes I will have a denture, and decide after that. To get to the point though I had to have the tooth pulled from my skull and a bone graft placed. The pulling didn't hurt thanks to a heck of a lot of shots, but it sure felt like a lot of pulling! And the bone graft was placed and a few sutures put in. Good as new but toothless and in a lot of pain once the anesthetic wore off... I made a stop at the grocery store to buy a bottle of advil and a pint of Ben and Jerry's (not on my diet but it is a good excuse to eat ice cream and feel bad for myself) then headed home. I wanted to take the pulled tooth home for Blake because he would find it all too interesting, but decided against it.
Sounds like the end of the story, but it isn't... there is a little bit more. Tonight I told Blake that my stitches felt funny and he looked at them and told me he had no idea what was going on with them and that he was only a first year Dental student... Great. So I sat and fretted about it and then all of a sudden my suture came out. So now I have little suture strings hanging out of my gum and a hole in my head filled with squishy yet gritty bone graft material that keeps slowly falling out into my mouth exposing the hole in my head. Pretty fun and painful. So I plan to call the Dentist tomorrow and the story will go on...





Holy crap! That is horrible! And gross! You might as well have them take all your teeth out and do a full set of implants. This is why you married a dentist isn't it?
ReplyDeleteWHAT A PAIN!!!
ReplyDeleteSo what happened at the dentist today? Did he refill the hole with bone graft and tie his sutures better!?!? Brother - just have him pull all of them and get dentures everywhere. A little Poli-Grip and you're as good as new. Sorry to hear about all of your troubles - it's a good thing Blake will be a dentist soon - just make sure he does his homework!
ReplyDeleteumm thats a bummer. sorry that your teeth suck, BUT good choice in a career for your husband with the condition of those teeth of yours!
ReplyDelete