We as the title states I feel like I am getting stupider by the second... No particular instance makes me feel this way but the fact that I asked Blake just now how to spell the "word" stupider is a good example of what is currently happening to me. After 18 or so years of school and learning new things it is hard to transition to not learning anything at all. I don't really think learning how to get poop and squash out of clothes counts as really learning anything.
In an effort to continue learning I started reading some of the classic books so I will be able to mingle with highly literate people, but they are all just really boring and I don't understand why most of them are classics. Harry Potter beats any of them any day! But I still continue to slave away at them even though it seems to take me months to read one book. I have also decided today to start learning about European history. I know that sounds overly ambitious but I have just realized today and with the recent obnoxious royal wedding, that I know nothing about European history. So in an effort to enlighten my mind I will be reading a book about European history and then focusing on British monarchy history first I think... It will probably get really boring after like a week but I am hoping that my interest in history will help me through. Ill keep you posted on how it goes!
Monette Wedding
12 years ago





Sounds like a good plan, I recommend starting with Henry VIII, then you won't get bored, that's some good trashy stuff. I gave up on reading the classics long ago, they're just plain boring.
ReplyDeleteHmmm good suggestion! I looked at a few books about him...
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh! I feel the SAME way! Maybe it's the fact that we finished school AND had a baby... now all we constantly think about is how to take care of le bebe...? Then the problem is compounded by having a husband in grad school learning new things every day! aye aye aye... I tried reading the classics too. got through one (the Scarlet letter)which was pretty good, then tried Anna Karenina and never even cracked the cover. I might be a lost cause. Keep up the good work though.
ReplyDeletep.s. Harper is a DOLL. I die every time I see a new picture of her!
Well, I am sorry to say that "stupider" isn't even a word - but I applaud your desire to learn more! I really like history myself - so I am glad that you want to focus on that. Of course, I am learning the fundamentals of statistics at this time and could tell you all about alpha levels and Type I and II Errors and t-distributions if you have an interest in any of those!! How about reading Bill Bryson's A Brief History About Everything, or something like that. It's pretty interesting and covers a lot of topics. I have that book, if you want to wait until you're here to get it. Well, I'm off for a 60 mile bike ride at 5:30 a.m., brother.
ReplyDelete