I hope I am in Boston for the next four years! We had so much fun! Our trip there was a bit nerve racking though! We were flying standby which means that we have to dress up and that we may not catch all of our flights. We got to Chicago and ran about 7 times (not even kidding) back and forth between terminals... trying to catch a plane, which actually wasn't that bad! We ate some pretty disgusting "Chicago style" hot dogs while there which I wont be returning for. We eventually got onto a plane going to St. Louis and flew from there to Boston.
We stayed south of Boston in Cape Cod. I felt very aristocratic staying there with the Kennedy summer home with in a few miles. One thing I really loved there were the hydrangea bushes and New England style flower gardens. Every time we drove by a hydrangea bush Mary, my mother in law, would say, "O! Look at the Hydrangeas! I wonder why they are so big here!" And there was a large hydrangea about every other house so we heard that about 100 times a day...... I think from now on every time I see a hydrangea, I will think that. It was nice to actually see flowers growing well after living in a desert my whole life.
We went to Martha's Vineyard which was really pretty. It is an expensive place though... One of my highlights there were the gingerbread houses... They were these little houses with detailed roofs and porches, and were all different, bright colors.
They all surrounded this park that had an old outdoor amphitheater from 1830 Methodist religious revivals, pretty interesting. One of my all time favorite houses however, is pictured here... I loved all the old churches. And on a spookier note, there were old graveyards everywhere, especially around the churches. I love old graveyards for some reason, so much history. We went to Plymouth and looked at the rock, which I must admit was a bit of a let down! It is stuck in a hole underneath a big shrine! I kinda wanted to touch it!
Dunkin Donuts... That was the theme of the trip... every 500 feet there was a dunkin donuts. I have never seen that many dunkin donuts in my life. Every gas station had one and every block had at least one. It was AMAZING!
We also got the rare opportunity to stop and look at a Cranberry bog. Mary felt it was imperative that I see a cranberry bog, so a cranberry bog I saw...
We went to Boston on the last day of our trip, which was the day of Blake's interview. We set off early in the morning to make it there on time. Blake had a bit of an anxiety attack before we left because he felt that his suit smelled like body odor due to the fact that he wore his suit during the Chicago airport incident and was not able to pack any smelly stuff. So my mother in law lent him her perfume... it was a little bit strong... and floral... but it ended his anxiety attack! So we dropped him off at his interview smelling like a middle aged woman yet calm... The medical campus where the school is located is right downtown. We were walking around on campus and I felt like a minority, the only white people near campus were med. students! That will be a bit of a change from ole Idaho! The school had some really old buildings and churches all around it, that was so neat.
As he interviewed we toured Boston. It is a very big city! in case you didn't know... I really loved it. There are so many old buildings mixed in with new growth. They had flower markets there too, which I have always wanted to go to. We went to the old market there which has a bunch of food and clothing shops in it. I bought some candy cigarettes, which i was very happy about!
The city is located right on the harbor, which i thought was really cool.
I could really see myself living there and it looks like we could be! The interview went really well, we think... The Dean who interviewed Blake seemed very interested in him and told him that he would be a great fit for their school. But we will see what actually happens in December when acceptance is determined. All in all a wonderful trip!





What! you can't tease people like that!
ReplyDeleteIt would be cool if you guys could live there. I too really like hydrangeas and old cemetaries. i guess I would have to visit you.
ReplyDeleteWell, I guess I know what I am going to get Blake for Christmas - some more Middle Aged Woman Smelly Stuff! I am glad to see you updating your blog and taking ownership of it! I do not own my blog and will probably shut it down soon. By the way, we have a very large hydrangea bush out in front of our house - there are just no flowers on it.
ReplyDelete